We can totally tell the difference between the following:
- Dot Net Nuke
- Open Cart
- Oracle ATG Commerce
- IBM Websphere Commerce
…but remember we're not foolproof, we use some neat little methods that apply to most sites using these CMSs, but not all will fit into those rules. Read about how it works for more juicy details.
Uh-oh! We're sorry we couldn't help, there are a couple of reasons why it might not have worked:
- It doesn't have a CMS
- The site is custom built - this is especially true for bigger enterprise sites
- The site owner has tweaked the settings so it doesn't show up - some people consider it a security risk
- It's not a very common CMS - we only check for a handfull of the most common, but there are thousands out there
If you really need to know then ask in the comments!
How does it work?
Warning - Geek Stuff ahead!
Well it's actually very simple, we just check for the following, in order:
- Meta Tags - hidden in the page source, some systems simply tell you the answer right away
- Login Pages - some login pages use the name of the CMS in them, if this makes them sufficiently unique then we'll check to see if that exists
Think you can help us match a CMS that's not on our list - then get in touch, we'd love to hear from you!